Essential Japanese Kanji uses a natural approach to learning the most basic kanji encountered in everyday situations in Japan.
This new edition is packed with fun quizzes and useful exercises for those wishing to improve their Japanese ability. It has been repackaged in a more compact, value-for-money size while losing none of the content that has made it a long-selling favorite. Key features of Essential Japanese Kanji include:
- Introductory quizzes to introduce everyday situations in which the Kanji are used
- A vocabulary section to help you understand the readings and meanings of each Kanji
- New character charts presenting all the Kanji clearly and systematically
- Definitions, readings, stroke orders and compounds for each character
- Practice sections help you to improve your skills
- Advanced Placement Exam practice questions follow the format of the College Board exam
Everyday tasks like finding a street address or buying a train ticket can be an ordeal in Japan if you don’t read kanji–the system of Japanese writing based on Chinese characters. A group of teachers from the prestigious University of Tokyo have pooled their talents to create 250 Essential Japanese Kanji Characters in two volumes: a practical way to learn the kanji most frequently used in daily life in Japan.
Tackling kanji-the system of Japanese writing based on Chinese characters-is the most challenging aspect of learning the Japanese language. 250 Essential Japanese Kanji Characters Volume 1 and Volume 2 are time-tested books that have now been enhanced and revised using proven methods from the Kanji Text Research Group at the University of Tokyo.
Together, these updated volumes incorporate all 410 kanji required for the AP exam, along with practice questions. Each lesson helps you master a new group of kanji, with either an etymology or a memory aid offered to give students a basis for understanding and memorizing the kanji systematically and correctly.